You know me, I have no qualms about doing a meme. This isn’t exactly a straight-up one, but it does help you delve deeper into your mind… And I like doing that too…
- How old would you be if you didn’t know how old you are?
Still the same age, I guess. Or is it one of the mysteries of the Universe and do I never get to know my age? Am I not 21?
- Which is worse, failing or never trying?
Never trying. When you try and you fail, at least you have the satisfaction of knowing you gave it a go.
- If life is so short, why do we do so many things we don’t like and like so many things we don’t do?
Because we have no idea how to spend our time optimally.
- When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?
That’s quite probably the situation. Although I hope I’d have done at least a bit of it.
- What is the one thing you’d most like to change about the world?
How we look at each other. How we only see the physical and never bother to ask for what a person’s really like.
- If happiness was the national currency, what kind of work would make you rich?
Helping people. Which sounds like a cliche answer, but it would make me dangerously happy. Failing that, if I could get rich on happiness from making my cards, that would be good.
- Are you doing what you believe in, or are you settling for what you are doing?
Half and half. I’m sort of settling in the not making money from writing yet thing. But I truly believe in my writing.
- If the average human life span was 40 years, how would you live your life differently?
I would live healthy, I would not have wasted years on an education I wasn’t proud of and I would make it my business to travel and meet people.
- To what degree have you actually controlled the course your life has taken?
Up until a point, I have had control of the course I’ve been taking. But there are things my parents needed to push me in, and things I did with help from others.
- Are you more worried about doing things right, or doing the right things?
I worry about both an equal amount.
- You’re having lunch with three people you respect and admire. They all start criticizing a close friend of yours, not knowing she is your friend. The criticism is distasteful and unjustified. What do you do?
I would butt in and just tell them. I am fiercely protective of my friends and I will not take crap about them from anyone. No matter how much I respect and admire the people talking.
- If you could offer a newborn child only one piece of advice, what would it be?
Learn to love yourself early on. It will pay off in later life.
- Would you break the law to save a loved one?
Without a doubt. If my mum or dad or my friends were in trouble, I would go very far to save them.
- Have you ever seen insanity where you later saw creativity?
Of course I have! I see insanity every single day. Every morsel of insane is a spark of creativity waiting to burst into life.
- What’s something you know you do differently than most people?
Tie my shoelaces. Always have been different at that. Didn’t learn to do so until a later age.
- How come the things that make you happy don’t make everyone happy?
Because everyone has different happys.
- What one thing have you not done that you really want to do? What’s holding you back?
There’s a lot I would like to still do in my life, but going to Australia does stand out. I sort of want to be able to say that I had sex with a Bondi Beach life guard (because seriously, they are HAWT.)
- Are you holding onto something you need to let go of?
Of course I am. I am holding on to regrets and anger from years ago, that I still haven’t learned to let go of.
- If you had to move to a state or country besides the one you currently live in, where would you move and why?
I would move to Berlin, because I am in lust with the German language and want to spend some time learning it.
- Do you push the elevator button more than once? Do you really believe it makes the elevator faster?
No! I push once and stand back!
- Would you rather be a worried genius or a joyful simpleton?
What, no joyful genius?
I am me because of the shared genetics of two lovely people, the things I learned over the years, the experiences I’ve had and will keep having and one hundred percent power of will.
- Have you been the kind of friend you want as a friend?
In some ways, I haven’t. But I’m learning. I’m learning.
- Which is worse, when a good friend moves away, or losing touch with a good friend who lives right near you?
Losing touch with a friend who lives near you. If I lost touch with everyone I know here in the UK, I don’t think I would survive. It would be like a part of my bones that went missing.
- What are you most grateful for?
That there are good people out there who love me as much as I love them.
- Would you rather lose all of your old memories, or never be able to make new ones?
That’s madness. I would rather lose my bad memories and retain the good ones.
- Is is possible to know the truth without challenging it first?
Not very likely. The only truths that you can know for sure are the truths within you.
- Has your greatest fear ever come true?
Nearly. I’ve come close to losing my mother a couple of times, which scared the shit out of me.
- Do you remember that time 5 years ago when you were extremely upset? Does it really matter now?
Actually, I do vaguely recall a couple of times I was upset five years ago. But I don’t see these people anymore, so it doesn’t matter.
- What is your happiest childhood memory? What makes it so special?
Being on the telly! Those were a wicked couple of days! I got the chance to perform a magic trick on a kids telly show, along with one or two other girls from my class. Fucking ace!
- At what time in your recent past have you felt most passionate and alive?
I feel most passionate and alive in the throes of passion. Passion gives me this amazing energy!
Now. Or yesterday, even.
- If you haven’t achieved it yet, what do you have to lose?
I have nothing to lose except money and dignity, and I’m pretty sure I want to keep at least one of those.
- Have you ever been with someone, said nothing, and walked away feeling like you just had the best conversation ever?
Yes! Those are some amazing moments!
- Why do religions that support love cause so many wars?
Because of people who take those religions too seriously.
- Is it possible to know, without a doubt, what is good and what is evil?
- If you just won a million dollars, would you quit your job?
I would buy a nice house, and keep my job.
- Would you rather have less work to do, or more work you actually enjoy doing?
More work I enjoy doing.
- Do you feel like you’ve lived this day a hundred times before?
I have that Groundhog Day feeling an awful lot…
- When was the last time you marched into the dark with only the soft glow of an idea you strongly believed in?
When I moved here! I had no idea what I wanted to do, and only the notion of wanting to live in the UK.
- If you knew that everyone you know was going to die tomorrow, who would you visit today?
Everyone! I would make it my business! Also, stop being so morbid!
- Would you be willing to reduce your life expectancy by 10 years to become extremely attractive or famous?
Not a chance. I am attractive, I like to think. And I have no need to be famous. I don’t want to let go of 10 years in which I could experience so much just for a bit of empty fun.
- What is the difference between being alive and truly living?
How you fill your time. You are alive. But are you really using up every bit of time you have to experience what you want to experience? That’s living.
- When is it time to stop calculating risk and rewards, and just go ahead and do what you know is right?
When it feels that way. The moment you just say “Fuck it. How hard can it be?”
- If we learn from our mistakes, why are we always so afraid to make a mistake?
Because we’re afraid of the consequences of the potential mistake.
- What would you do differently if you knew nobody would judge you?
The flat. I would do the flat up in the most chintzy, kitschy way possible.
- When was the last time you noticed the sound of your own breathing?
Whenever I think I’ve stopped breathing, I tend to notice it.
- What do you love? Have any of your recent actions openly expressed this love?
I love life. And I hope that I openly express this just by smiling and being myself.
- In 5 years from now, will you remember what you did yesterday? What about the day before that? Or the day before that?
In five years from now, I will only remember the moments that mattered. The words that touched me. The touches that made me gasp. I will not remember watching a certain show on television, or eating a certain food. I will remember what sticks in the heart.
- Decisions are being made right now. The question is: Are you making them for yourself, or are you letting others make them for you?
I am making them for myself. I hope.