The last of the Flappers, Jazz and Valentino release bonanza sees me tackling the Flappers Questionnaire – oohhh… Plus, a round-up of the lovely authors, some links to posts about the book and the obligatory buy links. Of course.
Why did you choose to edit an anthology about the Jazz Age? I’ve got a fascination with the era that stretches back quite some time. When I was looking for a theme for this anthology, the Jazz Age came up rather quickly as a subject.
What’s your favourite thing about the era? The creative boom that happened during the era – the first movie stars, the first talkie films, back when cinema was still so new that the act of going to the pictures was an event in itself. And the flappers, of course. Josephine Baker especially.
Do you have a favourite jazz tune? Minnie the Moocher by Cab Calloway. Steppin’ Out with My Baby, which was written by Irving Berlin and made into a jazz standard by Tony Bennett. Gershwin’s Summertime from Porgy and Bess. Yeah, I’ve got a couple.
If you could go back in time to the era, what would you do while there? Travel back to 1927 and watch The Jazz Singer at the pictures.
Do you have a favourite film set in the 20s? Singin’ In The Rain, and The Artist.
Cheerful Charleston or passionate Argentine Tango? Charleston followed by Argentine Tango followed by god knows what next…
Clara Bow or Louise Brooks? Louise Brooks, I reckon.
The Great Gatsby – like or dislike? Haven’t read the book, haven’t seen the film adaptations.
What’s your favourite 20s slang word? “Giggle water”, which was slang for alcohol.
The authors (and their stories) (and blogs)
- The Dance Partner – Lola White
- Aboard the Aquitania – Brent Archer
- The Sin in Syncopation – Blacksilk
- Life’s A Chocolate Cabaret – V.C.
- A Gal’s Gotta Make a Living Somehow… – T.G. Haynes
- The Nympho – Angela R. Sargenti
- Modern Motoring – Eva Starling*
- Songbird – Blair Erotica
- Limelight and Gin – Sasha Distan
- Tooting The Trumpet Boy’s Horn – V.C.
- Genuine Chemistry – Annabeth Leong
- The Argentine Tango – Tabitha Kitten
* Eva Starling doesn’t yet have a blog, unfortunately!
Flappers-related links and blog posts
- On Blair Erotica’s blog
- On Lola White’s blog
- Lola’s excellent Why The Twenties Roared post
- On V.C.’s blog
- On Brent Archer’s blog
- On Annabeth Leong’s blog
- On Angela R. Sargenti’s blog
- Sasha Distan’s post on Gay Authors.Org
- My guest post on Sallyanne Rogers’ blog
- On the Smutters website
- Interviewed by A.M. Hartnett
Buy buy buy!
I’m going to be doing a few more guest posts on various websites in the next couple of weeks, so I will keep you all posted on when and where. Thank you for celebrating this anthology with us this weekend – something so quintessentially Jazz Age about a good celebration, whatever the reason.
Now, if you’ll excuse me, I’m going to get my Charleston shoes on…